There are many varieties of poker to be played, not least of which is the more common Texas Hold’em and Pot-limit Omaha. Here we list some of the less common variants if you are just looking to try something new!
List of Poker Varieties
- Texas Hold’em is the classic, featured in the World Series and on television too. It’s easy to pick up, hard to master and fun to play.
- Omaha has become the second most popular variant of poker now, different from Hold’em in its pot-limit and its four hole cards instead of two, making for bigger hands and more excitement.
- 7-Card Stud used to be the most popular variant across America before the surge in Hold’em, and is played with three cards down and four up. This makes for a more tense game, with more information available to all players.
- Chinese Poker is good for newbies as it involves a lot of luck, and is easy to understand. Players are dealt thirteen cards and have to make three different poker hands, two with five cards and one with three.
- Five-O Poker is played with two players’ heads-up across five hands of five cards, where four cards in every hand are face-up. The aim is to win on at least three of the five hands.
- Follow the Queen is a variety of 7-Card Stud with a wild card involved, to add a little twist.
As with all kinds of poker, skill is a major factor, and if you want to win, you’ll need to read up on strategy. There are plenty of excellent resources for just that.
But all types of poker are still at heart card games – they can just as easily be played for fun with friends and family as they can in the casino for cash. Try out one of the games here, and see if it could be the next big thing for your poker night!